Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Bicycle Accident at 22nd and Flint

Tuesday night I was westbound at the stop sign at 22nd & Flint right after dark.   A Lexus sedan was  eastbound at the stop sign.  I noticed a bicycle light heading south on the EAST SIDE of Flint (wrong side).  I waited for it but the Lexus proceeded through the intersection and hit  the bike.  The bicyclist slid into the front of car.  She got up and moved to the sidewalk.  I exited the truck  and offered to render assistance but was declined.  The Lexus driver  was visibly upset.  The bicyclist was upset.  But the facts of the matter  are  the bicyclist  was wearing dark clothing at night and riding on the wrong side of the street.  I would not have seen her if she had not had a small light on the front of the bike.  She was wearing a helmet.   I would never ride a bike on Flint or on any street after dark in Lubbock.  

3 comments:

  1. An unfortunate incident, but the final sentence is sending the wrong message. It is not unsafe to cycle in Lubbock, and not particularly unsafe to do so after dark, so long as cyclists take sensible precautions (hi-vis clothing and lights). The fault here lies with the cyclist who was not following the rules of the road and I have little sympathy for them. My sympathies lie with the Lexus driver who must have got a real fright, and other safe cyclists who may be labeled as rule-breaking, devil-may-care antagonists, and treated by drivers accordingly.

    I cycle all over Lubbock and am continually touched by the courtesy and accommodations made to me by drivers, and I would like to thank them all. Please keep up the friendly approach to cyclists who deserve it; I greatly appreciate your consideration.

    Callum H. - 26th St.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But alas and regardless, there should be room on the road for bicyclists on Flint as well as any street after dark.

    ReplyDelete