Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's Not Just Inappropriate, It's Illegal

There seems to be an epidemic of wrong-sided parking in the Tech Terrace/UNIT Neighborhood.  I don't know if it is apathy, laziness or ignorance.  Perhaps it's a combination of all three.  It is against the law to park with the driver side next to the sidewalk unless you are parked on a one way street; we have none in the neighborhood. I know neighbors who were almost in a head-on crash because some reckless driver drove across traffic to park improperly in haste.  It is especially bad along the north side of Tech Terrace Park.  And how about people who think it's okay to park on the grass at Wagner and Tech Terrace Parks?  Perhaps the fines for such offenses should be increased.  Residents should definitely be more observant and vigilante in reporting to deter future offenses.  I would like to start a dialog on this and other parking issues (Resident-Only Parking, limiting parking on 25th Street in front of Roscoe Wilson Elementary, and establishing more tow away zones such as the one on 21st and Gary). 

 If you witness illegal, lazy and dangerous parking please call:
Parking Enforcement at 775-2798 during weekday work hours
or
311 during evenings and weekends.


I don't know what this guy was thinking. 


6 comments:

  1. I am all in support of this, particularly working towards preventing people parking and driving in the parks.

    I can also help with an explanation for the last two pictures, as I was incensed by the behavior of the man who drives the truck in question. He parked under the tree while he held soccer practice for a group of little girls. The truck is parked 15 yards from 26th St. where free parking was available. We must conclude that this immense distance was beyond his physical capabilities - he must make an excellent soccer coach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I am amazed at the priorities of this group. Parking the wrong way, really? Annoying, but hardly worth mentioning. If you have ever done this, you can't even read this and make gasps of disbelief. I bet that is most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't gasp with disbelief. However, it is a safety issue and maybe a reminder here will save someone a ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon #2--you are right. Let anarchy and chaos run amuck in ye 'olde neighborhood. Who cares? Why, by your post, residents certainly shouldn't. You are correct. I see the error of my ways. Let us all do whatever the "h" suits our fancy!! Tuesday dawn you'll witness me performing doughnuts on your front lawn. Tally-ho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My car was almost hit as I was driving on 29th Street this spring by a wrong way parker who pulled out in front of me. A driver parked on the wrong side of the street does not have a clear view of oncoming traffic, especially when other cars are parked in front of her or his car. The law exists for safety reasons and should be enforced.

    ReplyDelete